Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Paper

When I was a kid, I drew. It was more than just "let me draw you a picture. It was a nonstop need to continually draw. It got me a paddling in first grade and continued all the way until my 12th grade AP Lit. teacher called a conference with my mom to complain. Logic dictates that I'd have an art degree by now and I do: a BFA which I don't use very often. As an adult the art is used more for its "wow factor". I think my grades were slightly inflated in a teaching class during my masters because of my illustrations. But, really, it's more of a parlor trick now. Art doesn't make money.

So, this blog is about my kids. Therefore, lets get to the point of that childhood background information. Ember draws. About a month ago she started drawing in almost all of her spare time. She's gone through 3 reams of paper, and the better part of two packs of markers in a month. This morning, while getting her swimsuit for her lessons this afternoon, I also picked up all the drawings on the floor in her room. The room was blanketed! You'd think she was trying to re-carpet in marker maidens and spider-y cat squiggles. 32 pieces of paper!! None wasted, all drawn on with multiple figures and scenes. This is all from yesterday... not just yesterday, but from 7-9pm yesterday. I made her clean her room at 7. That is like my drawing obsession on steroids! The teacher in me wants to encourage her to add a word or two to each one. The artist in me wouldn't dare. The artist wins.

I hope she keeps it up and I hope I can find a good source of scratch paper this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment