Tuesday, June 14, 2011

cloth diapers

"Oh...okay." (swift change of subject!)

"Do they work? I can't imagine they work that well do they?"

"Isn't that a lot of extra work?"

"Good for you but they gross me out."

"They wouldn't work for our family because x, y, z."

"They are so expensive!"

"Well, you know the water and soap you use out weighs the environmental benefit."

The reactions when I tell people we use cloth diapers on Briar are generally very, well see for yourself. *points up* But seriously, if you were on the fence about it, try it! It isn't any harder than disposables. Really. Seriously. Not kidding, exaggerating or otherwise pulling the wool in any way.

Here's the really simple answer to all of that. The diapers were $15 each and I have 15 (2 days worth) so that was $225 dollars. They paid for themselves in about 3 months. I have about 1 extra load of laundry a week. Wait, how does that work?? I just said I have 2 days worth. I wash other things with them. Usually towels, but sometimes whites. As far as extra work, the only things that are different about use are that I dump the poop in the toilet and put the diapers in a pail instead of the trash. If we are out and about they go in the bag instead of the garbage. I fail to see the gross factor. They are washed on hot with soap. *shrugs* No more gross than underwear to me. And they work well with two added benefits. 1. Briar tells me when she's wet/poopy 2. Little Miss Rashy Butt hasn't had a single rash since we started using them.

It comes down to a personal choice like everything, but I really can't figure out why more people don't use them, other than the obvious *points up again* social stigma. Cheaper, just as simple as disposables, environmentally friendly. I wish I would have tried them with Ember, but since everyone seemed to say they were so "hard" "gross" "expensive" and "so much work" I just stayed away.

Oh and, Skinny Legs over there can actually wear pants in a cloth diaper. She can't do anything other than leggings in "sposies." So, you know, it's really all a fashion choice. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment