Wednesday, June 15, 2011

5+5

Yesterday in the car, Ember was quizzing me. She thinks it's great fun. Ask mom the question. Mom gives some off the wall answer. Giggle and say the right answer. Repeat.

We went through several rounds of her quizzing, all math today and mostly doubles. 2+2 and 4+4 and so on. Finally, through a fit of giggles she said "5+5" to which I decided to throw her a little a give a close answer rather than "22,000" which was the first number that came into my head. So I said "11" and she laughed and said, "No, mom that would be 6+6 minus 1!"

...

I make a big effort lately not to make a huge big deal out of stuff like this but, really, did my 4 year old just say that to me? Number sense! Yay! I'm thrilled to the point of cheering and clapping when my kiddos at work do that. There were several things running through my head. First was that Number Sense! Yay! thing. Then, wait, she understands subtraction? Then, OMG, She just used a near double correctly! Then, hold on a sec, when did she even learn 6+6??

I must have stayed quiet too long. E, "Mom?"

M, "Yeah."

E, "Do you think Nyan Cat has rainbow poop?"

M, "Er... maybe?" Yep, she's four. Rainbow poop- very four.

No comments:

Post a Comment